This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST3308 COMBE STREET 756-1/4/35 (West side) 24/05/76 Prospect House and attached walls and railings (Formerly Listed as: COMBE STREET Prospect House) (Formerly Listed as: COMBE STREET Walls and railings to forecourt of Prospect House)
House. 1728, altered early C19 and c1860. Limestone rubble to half basement; Flemish bond brick above and Ham Hill stone doorcase and platband. Slate roof with crested ridge, brick stacks and fretted bargeboards to gable ends. Double-depth central-staircase plan with extensions to sides and rear. 2 storeys with half basement; symmetrical 3-window range plus a small margin-pane sash to left extension with c1930 door below. Both front extensions have lean-to roofs, that to the right having no windows to the front. A long, wide flight of steps to a 6-panel door in a Tuscan-style doorcase. All windows have flat gauged brick arches, forward frames and late C19 two/two-pane horned sashes. Two C18 rubblestone extensions with pantile roofs to the rear were workshops. INTERIOR: staircase, probably altered c1860, has bracketed ends, stick balusters and plain newel. Ground-floor room to front left has mid C19 black marble fireplace with cast-iron arch plate register grate; back room left has large rectangular fireplace with a stone lintel covered by mid C18 wooden surround with beaded edge to inside arris. There is a small aperture through the fireplace wall to the left. Front room right has black slate fire surround with painted marble panels. 1st floor room to left has a mid C19 white marble fireplace with cast-iron grate, and a cast-iron ceiling rose. Late C16 reset panelled door to attic. Back room left has 2 large chamfered oak beams running from front to back; other ground floor ceilings are C19 lath-and-plaster covering original beams. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: coursed rubblestone wall with pointed arch gate to the left and with 2 generous sweeps up to right return. Cast-iron gate and railings to front on pattern of vine leaves; gate has been lowered after repair. Deeds state that the house was built in 1728. Walls and railings to forecourt were listed on 29.07.76. (Indenture for house: 1728-).
Listing NGR: ST3204708676
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0196 IOE Records taken by Richard Bland; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Richard Bland. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bland, Richard
Rights Holder: Bland, Richard
Brick, Cast Iron, Lias, Limestone, Pantile, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Stuart Workshop, Georgian Industrial, Industrial Building, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Gate, Unassigned, Wall, Barrier, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Railings