This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/68 (North side) 24/03/50 Chard School
House, now school. Dated 1583. Squared flint on a limestone plinth with Ham Hill stone dressings, plain tile roof and brick stacks. L-plan with rear left wing: 3-room front range with service room to left wing and parlour to right and porch to central door opposite door to stairs; rear kitchen wing has stair and lobby to left. 2 storeys with attics; 5-window range. All windows have cavetto-moulded stone mullions, labelled hoodmoulds and C20 leaded lights; moulded sill courses run under ground-floor and first-floor windows and round central, square, projecting porch of 3 storeys: this has gables to front and sides over 3-light windows on second-floor and 4-light to front and 2-light to sides of first-floor. First and second floors of the main facade have 4-light windows to far right and left and 6-lights flanking porch. Rear elevation has keyed semi-circular stair light. Rear left wing has similar, mullioned windows to right and rendered C19 extension with C20 fenestration. INTERIOR: ground-floor room to right has mid C19 Gothic-style shutters, marble fireplace, enriched cornice and ceiling rose.
Hall to centre has fine moulded transverse beams. Room to left has C17 cornicing and Tudor-arched doorway with sunk spandrels; reset late C16 panelling to rear lateral passage. Rear wing has mid C19 cast-iron kitchen range inserted into late C16 fireplace with hollow-moulded jambs and sunk spandrels; wide newel staircase adjoining to left. First-floor rooms have similar fireplaces and central plank and muntin partition with blocked door to rear lateral stairs and passage partition; lobby at head of newel stairs to left is divided from rooms to front left and rear wing (over kitchen) by similar plank and muntin partitions with front partition having pair of related arched architraves, one with late C16 plank door to stair lobby and rear left closet; similar fireplace to rear window. Attic: plastered collar trusses to front roof; 2 cambered collars, with threaded purlins. Mid/late C18 staircase provided access to Monmouth House (qv).
A complete and fine quality interior with an advanced plan form for its date, notable for its passage access to main rooms. HISTORY: rainwater head dated 1583. Built as a private residence for William Symes of Poundsford in Somerset. In 1671 he conveyed the property to 12 trustees so that it should be converted into a grammar school with residence for the master.
It was damaged by fire in 1727. (Pevsner N: Buildings of England: South Somerset: London: 1958-: P.118).
Listing NGR: ST3245208656
© Mr Richard Bland. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bland, Richard
Rights Holder: Bland, Richard
Lias, Limestone, Render, Tile, Flint, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage, Teachers House, Grammar School, Education, Secondary School, School
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.