This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 3042 LITLINGTON CHURCH STREET 23/153 (South Side) 22.11.67 Patish church of St Catherine
Parish church. C12 chancel with north and south walls remaining. Early C13 tower and chapel added to north of nave with double arcaded entrance. Early C14 north and south aisles. Third stage to tower and clerestorey to chancel and windows to south aisle c.1500. North nave chapel demolished at some time and vestry built on site by Dr W Webb, vicar, c.1840. Repairs c.1807 and complete restoration in 1870 by Vialls of London. Tower and walls repaired c.1950. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and limestone dressings. Lead covered roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet, ground storey lancet window and belfry window of two cinquefoil lights in a two-centre arch. Plain parapet to nave with four two cinquefoil light windows and one eastern single light window. South porch largely rebuilt with two-centred arch, south doorway with two-centred arch of two wave-moulded orders. Four restored windows of three cinquefoil lights in four-centred arches. Chancel clerestorey with three single light windows; one original lancet, one C14 window with two trefoiled-lights and one late C13 trefoiled light window with one large c.1500 window of three cinque-foiled lights. Priests's door restored with chamfered four-centred arched head.
Interior: Nave arcades of five bays, two bays of north arcade c.1300 with two-centred arches and with two hollow chamfered orders, moulded label to nave terminates with head stops, (on second pier a woman with triangular head dress). The three arches to the west and the arcade of the south aisle are early C14 with two-centred arches of two main orders with carved head stops to nave label, and quatrefoil piers with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders with labels towards the nave and chamfered square responds and semi octagonal tapering responds. Roof of chancel, six bays with moulded tie beams; late C15 or C16 bosses fixed to intersections of modern nave timbers; aisle roofs of five bays. Font, C15 with square bowl and moulded sides with carved angels at each corner supported on octagonal stem.
Three inscriptions on windows and pier refer to Francis Drake (RCHM). C14 piscenae and small cupboard in chancel, and in south aisle. Pulpit and screen, C15. Monuments: Wall tablet in north aisle to six members of North family 1790-1828 and oval tablet to Thos Dickason d.1824. In tower, marble cartouche to Roger Stoughton A.D. MDCXC.
RCHM Report 1950 VCH Vol VIII p.65 Ireland, M. DeC. History of Abington Piggotts with Litlington
Listing NGR: TL3098442747
Copyright IoE Mr L.W. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Smith, L.W.
Rights Holder: Smith, L.W.
Clunch, Flint, Lead, Limestone, Rubble, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument