This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MUCHELNEY CP ST42SW - 8/224 The Old Toll House (formerly listed as The Toll House) 18.9.73
Former toll house. Late C18/early C19. Brick, Flemish bond, colourwashed; hipped Welsh slate roof; massive central brick chimney stack. 'T'-plan; single-storey, 3-bay road elevation of which centre bay is a chamfered projection.
Pointed arched 'Y'-traceried casement windows, one to each facet of main elevation except centre of projection, which has doorway with panelled lower half and matching glazing above, also in pointed arch. Interior not seen. The road was taken over by the Langport, Somerton and Castle Cary Trust in 1792, and the house was probably built soon afterwards.
Listing NGR: ST4290824998
Copyright IoE Mr Graham Slocombe. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Slocombe, Graham
Rights Holder: Slocombe, Graham
Brick, Welsh Slate, Georgian Toll House, Victorian Transport, Road Transport Site, Domestic, Transport Workers House, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>