This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LOWER CHURCH ROAD 1.
5121 (east side) Parish Church of ST 3161 NE 9/32 9.3.53 Saint John the Baptist II GV 2.
Rebuilt 1824 but altered and extended. Perpendicular style. Consists of chancel (1837), aisled nave (north aisle 1844, south aisle 1889), west tower heightened 1840 (remains of former belfry and clock can be seen). Limestone rubble with freestone dressings; chancel in ashlar. Slate roofs. Four stage tower with pinnacles. Single storey porch on south side. S. aisle with pinnacles and pierced parapet. N. aisle battle- mented. Interior: wide 3 bay nave. Panelled soffit and arcade to S. aisle. Three sided gallery on cast iron columns with carved Gothic-style panels.
Listing NGR: ST3178861946
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Mair. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mair, Robert
Rights Holder: Mair, Robert
Ashlar, Freestone, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship