Church Of St Andrew

Date:
5 Oct 1999
Location:
Church Of St Andrew, Wellington Square, Minehead, West Somerset, Somerset
Reference:
IOE01/00047/27
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

MINEHEAD

SS9646 WELLINGTON SQUARE 900-1/3/112 (South side) 28/10/76 Church of St Andrew

GV II*

Church. 1877-1880, by GE Street. Red sandstone with freestone dressings and concrete tile roof. Aisled plan with chancel, north porch and vestry. Free Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Diagonal offset buttresses to corners of the nave. The east gable end has 5-light window with reticulated tracery. The north side has a 2-light window to the left of a 3-storey projecting gabled vestry with a stack to the left and a bellcote with 2 trefoil-headed openings, corbelled out above the north aisle which has 3 Decorated-style 2-light windows with small clerestory lancet windows above. A projecting gabled porch to the right has a pointed arch with finial over planked doors with decorative strap hinges. The west end has a rose window to the apex over 2 tall 2-light Decorated-style windows flanking a central buttress. Similar south aisle. INTERIOR: the 3-bay nave has octagonal piers without capitals, the arches dying into them; the intrados is smooth, the back and front is corbelled out. Hammer-beam roof to the nave, curved braces to the chancel, and exposed rafters to the aisles. Polychromatic floor tiles, those to the chancel are elaborate. The fine 1889 medieval-style stained glass east window, dedicated to Henry Luttrell, is by Kempe. FITTINGS: the wrought-iron and brass lectern, in Art Nouveau style, is dated 1903; the communion rail has fine wrought-iron supports; Gothic stone pulpit and font; original pine pews with shaped ends. HISTORY: the church was erected and endowed at the cost of Charlotte Ann, wife of the Rev AH Fownes Luttrell (vicar 1832-99) to whom the east window of 1888 is a memorial. The tower, planned to stand at the south-west (ritual east) end was not built. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 241).

Listing NGR: SS9678046148

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Rayner_R.M IOE Records for Rayner, R.M; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rayner, R.M

Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M

Keywords

Concrete, Sandstone, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative