This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STEEPHOLM ISLAND 1.
5121 Garden Battery ST 36 SW 1/83 II 2.
1866-68 built as part of the Palmerston forts ["follies"]. Originally a double enclosure, (Pits 1 and 2) but World War II battery built on top of pit 1. Pit 2 has a semi-circular parapet wall of limestone rubble on the inside: an earth and stone bank on the outside. The racer, cannon pivot (remains of Geo III cannon) and displaced 7 ton 7 inch gun survive. See Barrett, J.M. "Maritime Forts in the Bristol Channel".
Listing NGR: ST2315060589
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Mair. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mair, Robert
Rights Holder: Mair, Robert
Earth, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Georgian Cannon, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Furniture, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Coastal Battery, Defence, Coastal Defence Site, Battery, Maritime, Military Coastal Defences