This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9646 BAMPTON STREET 900-1/3/2 (West side) 04/07/52 No.8 Bampton House and attached gate piers and gateway (Formerly Listed as: BAMPTON STREET (West side) No.8 Bampton House including yard gateway to right)
House. Early C18, altered C19 and 1992. Rendered rubble with slate roofs and brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys with attic; 6-window range. 1992 paired 6/6-pane sash windows, 2 to the left and 3 to the right of the door. Rusticated quoins. The C19 central pedimented gable has a tall semicircular-arched window with a cast-iron balustrade to the lower part, raised voussoirs and a mask keystone. To the right a wide segmental-arched carriage entrance with a lion's head to the centre and tiled coping is flanked by piers with pineapple finials. To the first floor of the right return is a late C19 oriel window. Rusticated quoins not visible, covered by rendering. INTERIOR is in the process of being altered to accommodation for people with special needs, the staircase etc has been removed. HISTORY: this is thought to be part of the property leased by Samuel Hayman from Colonel Francis Luttrell in 1683. A description exists of a good tenement in Friday Street having a large court and a planked storehouse and two lofts above, a bakehouse and a stable, with other property and land in Bampton Street. (Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 175).
Listing NGR: SS9669646078
This is part of the Series: IOE\Rayner_R.M IOE Records for Rayner, R.M; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rayner, R.M
Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M
Render, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Carriageway, Transport, Road, Road Transport Site