This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NU 22 SW CRASTER DUNSTAN
3/48 Dunstan Hall
House. Base of turret may be part of pre-1300 house of Dunstans; main block rebuilt in early C14 for Wetwang family; south wall rebuilt and turret raised in C15; C16 or early C17 remodelling when west end of main block rebuilt, east end extended and stair wing built; south front refenestrated and east extension removed mid-C17; alterations including new north-west wing c.1706; restoration 1939 by H.L. Honeyman for Mrs Ursula Merz including rebuilding of north-west wing. Lower part of turret large roughly-shaped whinstone; east and north walls of main block and upper part turret large squared stone; south wall main block heavy rubble; west end main block and stair wing whinstone rubble; north wing squared stone; cut sandstone quoins and dressings. Pantile roofs with stone slates to eaves on stair wing. Plan; main block has south- west turret, central stair wing on north and L-plan north-west wing.
South elevation in 2 sections. Main block, to right, 2 storeys 4 bays. Half- glazed door in second bay in chamfered surround with hoodmould and worn lintel inscription including possible 1652 date; narrow 6-pane casement immediately to right. To left 12-pane fixed window in chamfered surround with hoodmould, in right bays two 12-pane sashes in openings with narrow moulded surrounds, sills and cornices. 1st-floor windows are 15-pane sashes in similar openings (except for smaller 12-pane sash on left in reduced opening). Coped right gable on moulded kneeler; stepped old brick ridge and right end stacks on stone bases. To left is 3-storey turret with small loops, those to upper floors chamfered; monopitch roof with crowstepped end copings. Turret right return shows blocked lst-floor doorway with lintel dated 1705 (largely hidden by ivy) and small casement window; at 2nd-floor level doorway with timber lintel and inserted casement, above large whinstone corbels which probably carried garderobe seat. Right return shows blocked C14 lancets to ground and 1st floor, and small blocked loop 1st floor left; to right 3 blocked chamfered doorways to former east extension, the upper two with paired casement windows inserted.
West elevation in two parts. To right is the old house: Gabled end of main block has 2-light and 3-light mullioned windows with leaded glazing and hoodmoulds to ground floor and attic, and 15-pane sash in bolection-moulded surround on 1st floor; turret on far right has 4-pane casement in chamfered surround to 1st floor and chamfered set-back at 2nd floor level, with small casement window above. Left 1939 wing; right part has 3 large ground floor windows with date panel above centre, and four 1st-floor windows in alternating- block surrounds. Left-of-centre stepped ridge stack. Slightly-projecting gabled left end bay has rusticated quoins and 16-pane sash windows; attic slit under coped gable on moulded kneelers.
North elevation: Main block shows 8-pane Yorkshire sash ground floor left and 12-pane sash in enlarged C17 window, formerly of 2 lights, at 1st floor right.
Extruded pent porch with boarded door and 4-pane casement on left return.
Right gabled stair wing with mullioned windows on both floors, the lower partly concealed by 1939 wing. Inner return of L-plan 1939 part shows vertical-panelled door in chamfered 4-centred doorway from original north-west wing.
1939 wing also re-uses quoins, gable kneelers and coping and window surrounds from Gloster Hill, in Warkworth parish.
Interior: Ground floor of main block has early C18 panelled room with bolection-moulded fireplace, arched half-glazed cupboard door, moulded dado rail and cornice. Dining room has C17 chamfered fireplace. Base of turret has arched vault, possibly an insertion. Stone winder stair. First floor has remains of early C18 panelling in one room, Re-used from Gloster Hill are three C17 fireplaces (one in 1939 wing and two in main block) and 3 jointed upper-cruck roof trusses in 1939 wing.
H.L. Honeyman, 'Dunstan Hall or Proctor's Stead', Arch. Aeliana 4th ser.
XVII 39-53 (1940).
Listing NGR: NU2482220114
© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Pantile, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Whinstone, Medieval House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.