This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EGLINGHAM SOUTH CHARLTON NU 12 SE 3/181 Church of St. James GV II
Parish church, 1862 by James Deason of London for 4th Duke of Northumberland.
Snecked stone with tooled ashlar dressings; grey Lakeland slate roof. 4-bay unaisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Chamfered plinth. Nave has lancets in side walls, large stepped buttress at south-east corner, 2 taller lancets with hoodmoulds in west end, and stepped western bellcote with pointed arch and moulded finial. Gabled porch has double-chamfered arch with hoodmould on shafted jambs, and a square- headed loop in each return; collared rafter roof with ashlar pieces. South doorway has studded double doors with foliate hinges in similar arch. Chancel has studded priest's door on south with foliate hinges, under moulded arch on shafted jambs; window of 2 trefoil-headed lights to right. Stepped triplet of lancets with hoodmoulds in east end. Pent vestry has twin lancets to east and stepped stack with round shaft on chancel wall.
Interior: Plastered. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds has hoodmould with foliage boss stops. Integral stone pulpit with quatrefoil frieze and foliate corbel bookrest. Collar-beam nave roof with arch braces rising from moulded stone brackets; collared rafters and ashlar pieces.
Collared common-rafter chancel roof with ashlar pieces. Panelled sanctuary and reredos dated 1885; moulded altar rail on wrought-iron standards. Simple choir stalls and bench pews in nave. Octagonal font with dogtooth ornament, and cover with ornamental ironwork.
Information re architect from Dr. Shrimpton, Estate Archivist.
Listing NGR: NU1648520242
© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Ashlar, Lake District Slate, Rubble, Stone, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.