This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 1019 (South side) 19/164 Eglingham Hall 10.1.53 GV II*
Country House. West wing C16 or C17; main block probably 1728 (dated on rainwater head), perhaps by William Etty, for Robert Ogle. Alterations and heightening of west wing c.1780. West wing extended to north 1890; East (entrance) wing 1903 by Temple Wilson for Thomas Milvain.
Main block and 1903 wing tooled stone with ashlar plinth, dressings and rusticated quoins; west wing large squared stone and rubble. Lakeland slate roof. East wing in Baroque style.
South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays, symmetrical, the end parts slightly projecting. Plinth. 8 steps up to central half-glazed double doors under radial fanlight, in archivoit with imposts and keystone, within rusticated pilasters and moulded cornice. 18-pane sash windows in architraves with triple keystones and slightly-projecting sills. Moulded cornice and corniced parapet. Hipped roof; 4 stepped-and-corniced ridge and end stacks. Set back to left, end of west wing, 3 narrow bays; central studded door and small-paned sash windows, the lower openings under timber lintels. Eaves cornice, arched roof dormer. Coped left gable on moulded kneelers; old brick left end stack.
Entrance (east) front: Main block 3 bays, with 18-pane sashes; set back on right lower 1903 wing of 2 wide bays, the first with panelled double doors in surround modelled on that in the south front,the second with projecting 2- window bay. 12-pane sashes, detail otherwise as south front.
West elevation: West wing, 2 + 2 + 3 bays, irregular. Scattered fenestration.
Taller right part is C16/17 building with remains of original chamfered openings; centre and left parts have flat-topped half dormers; windows mostly 12-pane sashes.
Venetian rear stair window; west wing shows vertical-panelled door in re-cut raised surround dated 1709.
Interior: Anthemion cornice of c.1780 in hall. Dining room panelling and chimneypiece in C18 style flanked by giant Ionic fluted pilasters; stone fireplace with Rococo carving. Early C20 library with panelled plaster ceiling, stone fireplace carved with intertwined dragons and panelling brought from Morwick Hall. Imperial stair of c.1780 with carved newels, moulded ramped handrail and wrought-iron balusters. Bedroom above dining room has chimneypiece flanked by giant Doric fluted pilasters. Oak Hall in west wing has C17 panelling, partly re-set, and fireplace.
Design thought to be influenced by Vanbrugh's Seaton Delaval, for which William Etty was job architect; but William Wakefield has also been suggested as architect for Eglingham.
G. Jackson-Stops, 'Eglingham Hall', Country Life, Vol. CLVIII, 1458-1461 (22 Nov. 1975).
Listing NGR: NU1042419540
© Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Ashlar, Lake District Slate, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Counting House, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan House, Stuart Dwelling, Jacobean Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.