This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 1019 (South side) 19/165 Gateway and stable range, with attached 31.12.69 wall to north of Eglingham Hall GV II
Gateway, stable range and wall. Gateway late C18 altered 1903 by Temple Moore; stable range with doorhead dated 1704 with initials HOG, may incorporate earlier fabric, altered l903; wall early C18. Gateway tooled stone; range and wall rubble with cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs, with timber and lead cupola on gateway.
South elevation: Gateway has flattened 3-centred arch with sunk panel above containing 2 rows of pigeon holes and alighting shelf; 1903 open-framed bellcote on ridge, with pyramidal cap. Stable range to right 2 storeys, 5 bays, irregular. Half-glazed door with pair of 1903 12-paned sashes to left; other openings, mostly blocked, include chamfered doorway with dated lintel, remains of 2-light mullioned windows, and 3 circular openings with raised cable-moulded surrounds on 1st floor. Roof has coped gable, with small end stack, to left and hip end to right. Attached wall to right, with doorway in moulded surround, links to east wing of Hall (q.v.).
North (external) elevation: Gateway has 1903 gable above arch, with clock brought from the Carlton Club; stable range has gabled dormer with boarded opening, and inserted sliding doors.
Attached garage block on north of stable range is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NU1044019568
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Lead, Rubble, Stone, Timber, Welsh Slate, Stuart Wall, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Gate, Unassigned, Structure, Garage, Road Transport Site