This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 1019 (South side) 19/169 Range of outbuildings on west of entrance to Church of St.
Maurice GV II
Former coach house to vicarage. Early C18 with some mid C19 alteration.
Large squared rubble with roughly-tooled quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof. East elevation 2 storeys, 2 + 2+ 2 bays. Taller central part has blocked coach entrance and doorway, with blocked loft door and boarded window under shouldered lintel above; gables with raised coping; small left end stack. End parts each have central doorway and upper windows set directly beneath eaves; ground-floor openings to right have later shouldered lintels.
Windows mostly boarded or slatted, except those at ground floor left which are blocked. Roofs hip-ended. Rear elevation: Central part shows boarded double doors under timber lintel, and timber dovecote on roof slope; right end part shows stable door between part-slatted windows, all in C19 chamfered surrounds.
The C18 vicarage probably stood on the east of the church approach; Archdeacon Singleton, writing in the early C19, records that 'the late vicar built a boys school over his coach house, a whimsical position'.
Listing NGR: NU1061019518
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rights Holder: Clarke, Peter Oakley
Rubble, Timber, Welsh Slate, Stuart Coach House, Georgian Transport, Road Transport Site, Dovecote, Agriculture And Subsistence, Agricultural Building, School, Education