This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ADLESTROP ADLESTROP VILLAGE SP 22 NW 4/12 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 25.8.60 GV II Anglican parish church. C13 tower and chancel arch, C14 tower.
Rebuilding c1750 and again 1765. South transept probably C18.
Chancel altered 1824. North transept dated 1860 on trefoil datestone in gable end. General restoration early 1860s.
Rebuilding/alterations to the church, 1765 probably influenced by Sanderson Miller, (q.v. Adlestrop Park). Nave south wall and north transept/vestry coursed squared and dressed limestone, nave north wall ashlar sandstone, chancel coursed squared and dressed sandstone. Stone slate roof. South transept ashlar sandstone.
Nave, west tower, north and south transepts, vestry attached to east wall of north transept, chancel. Nave north wall; two 2- light C19 two-light windows with tracery with hoodmoulds with stops in the form of heads. Similar windows inserted into south wall.
Similar window in gable end of north transept. C19 plank door to vestry left, within pointed-arched surround. C19 lancet in west wall of north transept. 2-light stone-mullioned window with quatrefoil over in east wall of vestry. South transept, C19 pointed-arched window similar to those lighting nave within blocking of former south door in gable-end. 2-light early C18 window with 'Tudor'-arched lights and narrow central mullion in east wall. Chancel; 2-light C19 stone-mullioned window with quatrefoil in north wall, rectangular limestone monument set into wall left of window to Anthony Green, died 1596, margin decorated with scrollwork with triangular pediment enclosing skull over.
C19, three-light window with tracery and hood with head stops at east end, 2-light C19 stone-mullioned window with quatrefoil and C19 lancet in south wall of chancel. 3 stage tower with strings between stages and diagonal buttresses. Lancet window to second stage on north, single rectangular light on south. C19 double plank door with decorative hinges within C19 segmental-pointed arched surround on west. 2-light C19 pointed stone-mullioned window with stopped hood over. Clock faces on north and east faces of second stage of tower dated 1887, commemorating Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. 2-light bellcote windows with trefoil heads, quatrefoils stopped hoods and limestone louvres on each face of third stage. Embattlemented parapet.
Interior: walls plastered, C13 pointed arch from nave to tower.
Piers comprise 3 engaged columns with foliate capitals. Double- chamfered pointed C13 chancel arch. Double-chamfered pointed arches to transepts. Flag floor to nave, red and black tile floor to chancel. Elaborate heavy-timber king post roof with decorative cusping to nave. Braces to soffit of tie from corbels decorated with faces or foliate decoration. Wooden barrel roof with bosses to chancel. Octagonal C15 font at west end of nave. C19 pews.
Finely carved wood pulpit dated 1927 with carved figures in relief and fine pierced tracery with intertwined vine at top. C19 octagonal stone pulpit with foliate upper margin, stone steps and marble inlay at base. C20 communion rail. Monuments: nave south wall from west; hatchment, white on grey marble monument to James Leigh died 1823 and Julia his wife died 1843, with urn and heraldic shield. White on black marble monument to Lady Caroline Leigh, died 1804, with urn. North wall from west; 2 hatchments. All hatchments in nave commemorate members of the Leigh family, (q.v.
Adlestrop Park and Adlestrop House). Marble monument left of chancel arch to Elizabeth Wentworth, died 1788 and her niece.
Marble monument right of chancel arch with female figure leaning on an urn above inscription to James Leigh died 1744. Large white marble monument to Reverend Thomas Leigh died 1813 and Mary his wife died 1797 on west wall of south transept. Two C19 marble monuments on north wall of chancel, monument towards east end to Theophilus Leigh, former pastor died 1785 and his wife. Two large C19 metal pointed arched plaques one with biblical text one with commandments either side of altar. Three C18 recumbent ledger slabs in floor of nave, one with Latin inscription. C19 stained glass in windows of chancel and in transepts and west window.
(David Verey The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds 1979)
Listing NGR: SP2429926895
Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Manekshaw, Bob
Rights Holder: Manekshaw, Bob
Ashlar, Limestone, Sandstone, Stone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Gravestone, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Plaque, Coat Of Arms, Anglican Church, Parish Church