This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CONYBERE STREET 1.
5104 Highgate B12 Church of St Alban the Martyr (formerly listed under Bordesley) SP 08 NE 7/25 25.4.52 II* 2.
1879-81 by J L Pearson. A large Early English style church of cruciform plan.
Red brick with ashlar dressings and some diaper work. Severe extension relying on play of brick against stone except at west end. Very tall clerestory above aisles, steep slated roofs, buttressed apsidal chancel. The west end is flanked by buttressed turrets with stone spired, open lancet arcaded, caps. Shallow narthex, doorway porch with multi shafted orders and applied gable against blind arcade with quatrefoils above; the recessed plane with 3 centred arch contains trefoiled rose window above lancet arcade. Pearson's south-west tower and its intended spire, was hardly begun and the existing unsympathetic square plain tower with hump back roof was completed 1938 by E F Reynolds. The interior is of course the major feature of interest although the nave lacks length for the soaring elevations and there is a cramping of proportions and space in relation to height.
Very narrow pointed arches to ambulatory arcading and broader but still steep ones to the nave returned into transepts, the north are longer than the south. Shafting to piers and shapely, richly moulded arcade arches. The principal shafts carried the ribs of stone vaulting used throughout, particularly fine in chancel. Triforium gallery passage with trefoil balustrade. Very tall fine 2 light clerestory windows.
The northern is quite deeply expressed internally with a canted 3 bay arcade allow- ing shallow baptistry, and with gallery above but uncomfortably at lower level to triforium. It is this feature which adds to the awkward shortness of the nave, otherwise the elevational treatment is totally and convincingly consistent. The south chapel window has freestanding shafts to very narrow lights. Light open scroll work iron screen to chancel. Polychrome rood. The altar piece in the south chapel is a painted triptych in copper panels, good Birmingham Arts and Crafts work, by Kate and Myra Bunce, 1919. Stained glass in east window by Henry Payne, otherwise clear or tinted leaded glass. Despite the weaknesses of the design the quality of the interior finishes, the use of brick and stone, undoubtedly a formative influence in the young Bidlake.
Listing NGR: SP0766485337
© Mr J J Sheridan. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sheridan, J J
Rights Holder: Sheridan, J J
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.