This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BICKINGTON LOVE LANE (north side) SX 77 SE Bickington 7/33 Manor House 23.8.55 GV II* Formerly known as Peacehaven. House, formerly a farmhouse. Late C16, with additions at the rear. Solid roughcast walls, probably of stone. Asbestos-slated roof, hipped at left-hand end.
In centre of front wall a large projecting chimneystack with offsets, thatch weatherings and tapered top, the latter with a small added shaft of C20; small semi-circular oven projection at base of stack. In right-hand gable is a projecting stone stack with offsets and weatherings; slightly tapered and with a projecting stone course as a cap, above which is a short C20 added shaft. 3-room and through-passage plan with rectangular stair turret in centre of rear wall; there seems to have been a heated parlour by C17. A C20 bow window has replaced the original rear door of the through-passage. Behind the parlour (to right) is a lean-to, probably added, of some antiquity. 2 storeys, lean-to and C20 additions single-storeyed. 4-window front; windows have C19 or C20 wood casements with glazing bars. The right-hand window in each storey has a segmental arch, suggesting that the front wall may have been rebuilt at this end. To right of projecting stack in front wall, and built out level with it, is an "oriel" at the upper end of the hall, this having in its side-wall a slit window with thick wood frame, the head of which is pointed. The doorway, to left of stack, has an ovolo- moulded wood lintel with run-out stops. Door frame is straight-headed with ovolo and hollow mouldings and has large worn stops at the foot. Plank door with studs and wrought-iron strap-hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals; vertical moulded ribs with matching strip along top of door, right-hand rib and bottom strip missing.
Open fronted porch with pent roof. Left-hand gable-wall has C20 French windows in ground storey; C19 wood casement window with glazing-bars to left of second storey.
In rear wall in second storey a 2-light ovolo-moulded wood window.
Interior: through-passage has stud-and-panel screen to right; studs chamfered and with scratch mouldings. Hall fireplace (in front wall) has wood lintel with a very broad ogee and ovolo moulding and bar stops; splayed granite ashlar sides, oven with round-headed granite opening and shallow ledge in front. Central upper-floor beam and half-beam at upper end have ovolo and hollow mouldings with run-out stops.
Heavy oak bench against upper-end wall with piece of late C16 or early C17 panelling 2 panels high, finished with moulded frieze and bracketed cornice, above it; panelling extends into the oriel beside fireplace, which has a heavy oak window-seat. Parlour has gable-fireplace with chamfered wood lintel having scroll- stops. The lower room, to left of through-passage, has fireplace in rear wall with carved wood lintel said to have been brought from Plymouth; it bears the date 1654 and initials T CG Newel stair at rear of hall has old winding steps, the lowest one a solid block.
Plank door from hall has 2 sunk panels with moulded frames in centre, wrought-iron strap-hinges; chamfered, square-headed door-frame with rounded step-stops. At the top a pair of similar door-frames with common lintel. Upper storey probably had 4 rooms originally. Stud partition, probably original, nailed to truss above lower side of through-passage. At upper end, gable-fireplace with rounded back and base of slates on edge; chamfered wood lintel with scroll-stops. Old plank door with narrow centre panel having bead-moulded edges; wrought-iron strap-hinges. Roof- timbers are unblackened. Principal rafters have notched apexes, threaded purlins and slots for threaded ridge-piece; cranked collars with shaped ends halved into the principals. Some of the principals have short, vertical tenoned struts at their feet, against the wall-face. Most of the common rafters have been replaced.
There are references of 1563 and 1577 to "the manor or lordship" of Lovelane, but although this house was probably built for a gentleman there is as yet no proof that he was also lord of the manor (J.C. Tingey, Calendar of Deeds Enrolled within the County of Devon, typescript in Westcountry Studies Library, Exeter, 1930, Nos.
642 and 1108).
In a barn at rear of house (not separately listed) is a 2-light wooden window with flat-splay mullions; hole for upright glazing-bar in centre of each light.
Listing NGR: SX7955172487
Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Asbestos, Roughcast, Stone, Tudor Farmhouse, Elizabethan Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Hall House, Monument <By Form>, Barn