Tracey Almshouses Including 2 Earlier Granite Uprights Attached To Front Wall And The Cap Of A Gatepost At The East End

Date:
31 Aug 1999
Location:
Tracey Almshouses Including 2 Earlier Granite Uprights Attached To Front Wall And The Cap Of A Gatepost At The East End, 35-43 East Street, Bovey Tracey, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13 9EL
Reference:
IOE01/00069/25
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BOVEY TRACEY EAST STREET (south side) SX 8178 Bovey Tracey Tracey Almshouses Nos. 35-43 (odd) 11/61 including 2 earlier granite - uprights attached to front wall and the cap of agatepost at the east end GV II

Row of 5 almshouses. Built in 1910, in a style reminiscent of the early and mid C19. Solid, roughcast walls. Slated roof. 3 rendered chimneystacks on ridge : one on right-hand gable, one just off-centre to right, and the third off-centre to left, between Nos. 41 and 43. 2 storeys. 5-window front, the centre bay (comprising No.

39) projecting slightly and with a low-pitched gable rising above eaves-level: the gable has overhanging eaves and plain bargeboards. Windows are of 2 lights with wood mullions and iron casements, the latter with decorative catches internally and diamond-shaped leaded panes. The ground-storey windows and the centre second-storey windows have straight hood-moulds. Simple plank doors flanked by wooden uprights, ovolo-moulded on the edges and with raised run-out stops; the tops of the uprights, presumably some sort of hood, are missing. No. 43 has a later wooden hood with slated pent roof. The doors are asymmetrically placed. At the right-hand side the doors of Nos. 35 and 37 are paired, with a window at either side. In the centre, the door of No. 39 is at the left-hand edge, with the window centrally placed to the right of it. At the left-hand side the doors of Nos. 41 and 43 are placed at the left and right ends respectively, each with a window on its inner side. In the apex of the gable is a granite plaque with the inscription: "1910. These alms houses were built in loving memory of Mrs A M Tracey died Sept. 13th 1902 and of her son P W Tracey. Give thanks unto the Lord!" The gable-walls have no windows, but the eaves overhang and are finished with plain bargeboards, the bargeboards on the east gable having in addition a horizontal 'collar'; in September 1984 the bargeboards on the west and front gables had similar collars. In front of the almshouses is a narrow cobbled pavement, presumably dating from 1910, with granite kerbstones.

Interiors not inspected. At the right-hand end of the cobbled pavement is a granite column with moulded cap and base, probably of the C16 or C17. At left-hand end is an oblong-section granite post, chamfered on one side and with a rounded step-stop at its foot. Next to the post on the east is a stone rubble gatepost with a reused piece of carved granite, tapered and with a crenellated top, as a cap; probably C16.

Listing NGR: SX8189878574

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Medley_M J IOE Records for Medley, M J; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Medley, M J

Rights Holder: Medley, M J

Keywords

Cobble, Granite, Roughcast, Slate, Medieval Gate Pier, Tudor Unassigned, Elizabethan Column, Building Component, Building, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Pavement