This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 86 NW BOX BRADFORD ROAD
Chapel Plaister 2/36 Bell House (formerly listed as Chapel Plaster Cottages)
20 12 60
Inn, now house, apparently C17 but possibly incorporating a pre- Reformation hostel associated with Chapel Plaister (q.v.). Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs, coped gables and roof hipped at south-west angle. L plan, one and a half to 2 storeys. West front has original range of 2 dormer gables with recessed hollow-moulded 2-light windows and hoodmoulds and similar ground floor window adjoining former door in flush frame. North end stack. L.H.Grimm drawing of 1790 shows 3-light window adjoining door. North end addition, not in 1790 drawing, has north end stack, dormer gable with similar 2-light window and hood and ground floor casement.
South front is 2-storey with ridge stack and wallface stack to left. Upper 3-light flush cyma-moulded window and 2-light recessed cyma-moulded window. Ground floor 2-light recessed cyma-moulded window with hood, C20 glazed door with drip over and 2 casement pairs, C19 and C20. East end wall has C19 casements and corner stack. Rear has one upper 2-light flush bead-moulded window and one bead-moulded ground floor 8-pane window. Lean-to addition.
Inner segmental arched stone doorway with dripstone. In C18 the Bell Inn was associated with the highwayman, John Poulter, known as Tom Baxter.
Listing NGR: ST8398967840