This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 8268 BOX CHURCH LANE (north side)
3/41 The Wilderness
Marked on O.S. as Becket Mill. House, mid to later C18 and c1840, ashlar with stone tiled mansard roof to earlier range and slate low pitched hipped roof to c1840 west end. Original range 2 storeys and attic, double fronted, with mansard roof, coped gables and end wall stacks. One dormer, two 16-pane sashes of c1800 type to each floor, raised band and blocked central door in raised moulded surround. To rear is ashlar stair tower with hipped roof flanked by outshut roofs. At west end is large range added for G.Mullins c1840, 2 storeys and basement with 3-window west front of 16-pane outer sashes, 12-pane first floor centre sash and projecting ashlar enclosed porch with pilaster surround to double doors.
Ground floor 16-pane windows have margin lights. Similar south end ground floor window, floor band and sunk panel above with small oval light. Three storey north end wall. On part of site of large Roman villa, a mill site from the early middle ages, deeds of 1727 recording 2 tenements and 2 water grist mills.
Listing NGR: ST8229268518
Copyright IoE Mr Kim Aplin. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Aplin, Kim
Rights Holder: Aplin, Kim
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling