This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 8268 BOX HIGH STREET (north side)
3/157 Box Primary School and School House
Primary School, 1874-5 by J. Hicks of Redruth, extended 1894, small ashlar block banded in rock-faced rubble stone with Bridgwater tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Single storey long school range with 2-storey house at east end. Gothic style. Near symmetrical main front of 2 projecting wings with coped gables, crocketted near apex, flanking recessed centre with smaller, slightly projected central gable. Central gable has 3-light window in pointed frame, lights with ogee heads, wings have similar window flanked by ogee-headed single lights. Voussoirs alternate ashlar and rock-faced blocks. To left of centre gable C20 main door, to right, 2-light flat-headed window and pointed-arched doorway with Y-tracery overlight, inscribed 'Girls and Infants' on lintel. Left wing is extended to left with similar doorway inscribed 'Boys Entrance' at base of a thin ashlar clock tower rising to a gabled clock face with clasping square pinnacles and ashlar pyramid roof with 2 finials. Extension to left with 2-light flat-headed window and west gable. Taller gabled parallel wing behind. At right end, School House, with pointed arched door and window over to left of 2 storey canted bay with steep hipped roof carried through as cross wing to coped north gable.
Listing NGR: ST8259168585
Copyright IoE Mr Kim Aplin. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Aplin, Kim
Rights Holder: Aplin, Kim
Ashlar, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Elementary School, Education, School, School House