The Rectory / Hogus House

Date:
20 Sep 1999
Location:
The Rectory, Ludgvan, Penwith, Cornwall, TR20 8EZ
Show all locations
Hogus House, Ludgvan, Penwith, Cornwall, TR20 8EZ
Reference:
IOE01/00081/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN SW 53 SW 8/59 Hogus House (formerly listed as The - Rectory) 16.1.78 GV II* Former rectory, now house. Circa late C18, extended circa early C19 and probably late C19, reduced C20. Home of Sir Humphry Davy 1778-1829, the eminent chemist and inventor of the minor's safety lamp. Granite ashlar front, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Hipped granite scantle slate roofs. Brick chimneys.

Plan: originally probably L-shaped plan with 2 equal size front reception rooms with entrance hall between and study and service wing at right angles behind the right hand room. Circa early C19 the rear of the house was remodelled and extended to make a garden front on the right with central canted bay and with another canted bay at rear middle. The stair hall was probably resited to its present position behind the left hand room and a service wing with servant's stair was added behind the stair hall. The service wing was reduced to single storey in the C20.

Exterior: 2 storeys over basement (cellar under right-hand room only). Symmetrical 5 window south front: basement as plinth, ground floor cill string, midfloor string, moulded parapet cornice; chamfered rusticated quoins; flat arches with projecting keystones over windows. Round-headed doorway approached by a flight of 4 granite steps. Panelled door with possibly original fanlight over.

Round-headed stair window over cellar stair window (left hand wall); 2 storey canted bay windows (right hand wall and rear) mostly sashes.

Interior: C18 features: chimney pieces in 3 reception rooms, some moulded ceiling cornices, window shutters and 6-panel doors. Circa early C19 features: open-well open-string stair with guttae detail.

Listing NGR: SW5051232987

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Clegg_Richard IOE Records for Clegg, Richard; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Clegg, Richard

Rights Holder: Clegg, Richard

Keywords

Ashlar, Granite, Rubble, Slate, Georgian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Service Wing, Monument <By Form>, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site