This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THE FOLLOWING BUILDING SHALL BE ADDED
TL 7006 SE NEW LONDON ROAD
House, later part of hospital. 1848 by James Fenton for John Copeland one of the 5 partners in the development company which, built the new London Road in Italianate style. Built of Ipswich stocks in Flemish bond with stone dressings and stock brick stacks. 3 storeys; 3 windows. Wide moulded eaves cornice. 2nd floor has 6-pane sashes with marginal glazing moulded architraves and brackets. lst floor has 12-pane sashes (the central one a wide tripartite one) with side windows having eaved architraves, cornices and stops, the central one having moulded architrave, pe dimental brackets. Ground floor windows are 12-pane tripartite sashes with moulded architraves, stops, pediments and brackets. Central doorcase with moulded architrave, rectangular fanlight and double door. Composite pilasters but rest of doorcase missing. 4 stone steps. 1 storey extension on each side, the right hand one having one window with marginal glazing, the left hand one having a similar window in a moulded architrave and 4 panelled door with moulded architrave and 4 panelled door.
Rear elevation has centre of 2 storeys with stone pierced balustrading flanked by 3 storey bays with deep stone brackets and pilasters - sashes with marginal glazing. French windows to ground floor with moulded architraves with cornices and brackets.
Listing NGR: TL7067506416
Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Garthwaite, G.W.
Rights Holder: Garthwaite, G.W.
Brick, Stone, Victorian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare