This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5213 NEW LONDON ROAD (West Side) No 60 (The Chelmsford Institute) TL 7006 NE 3/25 6.2.74.
Built 1841. Gault brick with stone trim. Three bay, 2-storey, front with pedimented gable and one bay side return. Front with 4 giant order pilasters with Egyptian capitals. Central 1st floor window and top windows to north return, pedimented on consoles between giant pilasters. Architraves, mullions, sills and flat hoods on consoles to other windows each with 3 pairs of 2-pane sashes having marginal lights. Central front door in Egyptian stone surround between 2 windows. Plan rectangular, roof slated, aligned east to west. Side walls have round-headed sash windows on 1st floor, above plain rectangular gound floor windows. Roof slated, chimney over party volts.
Listing NGR: TL7082406584
Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Garthwaite, G.W.
Rights Holder: Garthwaite, G.W.
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Institute, Education