This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LUDGVAN SW 43 SE 7/18 Rogers' Tower - GV II Folly, probably used as look-out tower. C18. Granite rubble with rubble dressings.
Corbelled granite dome under roof hidden behind parapet with pinnacles over the 4 corner turrets.
Plan: square single cell plan with corner turrets. Gothic style.
Exterior: south east entrance front with central pointed doorway with an outer ogee- headed order. Over the doorway in a blind polygonal 'quatrefoil'. Flanking the doorway are 2 identical turrets with shouldered-arched window to the fronts and outer sides and blind slits over. The rear turrets are blind.
Interior: has domed granite ceiling and access to each of the turrets. No access to the roof.
Probably associated with John Rogers of Treassowe, 1750-1832 (see Rogers chest tomb, item 8/45).
A miniature castle set prominently on the hill of Castle an Dinas, so that the building gives the impression that it and the hill are much larger than they really are.
Listing NGR: SW4851634963
Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clegg, Richard
Rights Holder: Clegg, Richard
Granite, Rubble, Stuart Tower, Georgian Unassigned, Building, Lookout, Defence, Military Observation Site, Folly, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building