Parish Church Of Holy Trinity

Date:
23 Aug 1999
Location:
Parish Church Of Holy Trinity, Bradpole, West Dorset, Dorset, DT6 3HZ
Reference:
IOE01/00084/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SY 49 SE BRADPOLE BRADPOLE VILLAGE

2/47 Parish Church of Holy Trinity

GV II Parish Church. 1845-6 with a spire added in 1863, and north-east chapel/vestry of 1897 by C E Ponting. Dressed stone walls. Slate roof with stone gable-copings, with crosses at nave and chancel gables. West Tower, Nave with south porch, north aisle, Chancel and north-east vestry. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and plain parapet. Roll-moulds for strings. Heavily moulded west doorway with pointed head. 2-leaf plank door with strap-hinges.

Single square-headed light to ringing chamber and 2 lancet lights to the bell-chamber. Spire of pyramidal form, of wooden shingles.

Woodlucarnes with steep gables, one to each side. Nave of 4 bays each divided by buttresses each with 2 set-offs. Keeled roll- moulding beneath windows and also at springing, carried over as hoods. Windows are single lancets with a deep chamfer. South Porch, with pointed-arch entrance and moulded jambs. Returned label over. Inner door has 2-leaf plank door with ornamental hinges. Chancel: 2 bays of lancets with cusped heads and separate labels over. Priest's door, on south side, with pointed head.

East window of 3 stepped lancets. North-east Vestry, gabled to east end, with coupled pointed lights to east with quatrefoil heads.

North door has a small stone porch with a pointed arch dying into jambs and ogival parapet moulding. North aisle, 4 bays under a pentice slate roof, with straight-chamfered lancets and buttresses between. Interior: north arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers and moulded capitals. High pointed arches with straight-chamfered and quadrant mouldings. Roof of arch-braced collar type carried on stone corbels, trefoiled above collar. Rafters planked-in and imitation wind-bracing. Chancel-arch with double-responds, moulded capitals and head. Fittings: font, chamfered octagonal bowl with moulded necking, C15 with modern repair. Stem and base are Cl9/C2O.

Pulpit: stone, octagonal, with star of Jerusalem and IHS on front panels, cl9. Head of a C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery, fixed to the west wall. Fresco of Christ in Majesty above chancel-arch by W G Rich, Cl9.

RQfIM Dorset I, p 36(1).

Listing NGR: SY4804794288

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Lane_Richard C IOE Records for Lane, Richard C; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Richard C Lane. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Lane, Richard C

Rights Holder: Lane, Richard C

Keywords

Slate, Stone, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship