This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1671 BROAD STREET (North Side) No 4 (Brown's Hospital) 22.5.54. Chapel and Hall.
- All the other buildings at Brown's Hospital.
TF 0207 1/54 II GV 2.
Almshouses of circa 1480, partly rebuilt 1870 by J Fowler. Elevation to street is of C15 chapel, with stone-stepped entrance to porch at west end and hall on lst floor. 2 storeys, coursed rubble with stone dressings. 4 bays divided by small buttresses. Each bay has a ground floor window of one light, and lst floor window of 2 lights, in a 4-centred arch with mullions, transoms and cusping. Moulded labels to all windows. The 2 most easterly windows are of 3 and 4 lights, with a 2nd transom and segmental arches. The most easterly contains good contemporary glass. A modern extension beyond the east end. The interior has completely rebuilt almshouses facing into a small court, all of late C19 1870 date, and in the 'Gothic' manner.
No 1, Railings and terrce to No 1, No 2, Wall and gate to No 2, Nos 3, 4, Warden's House to No 4 and Nos 5 +to 11 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TF0295707286
Copyright IoE C. Culligan. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Culligan, C.
Rights Holder: Culligan, C.
Rubble, Stone, Medieval Church Hall, Tudor Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Almshouse, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building