This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)
3/69 Church of St. Andrew 21.9.60 G.V. II*
Parish church. C15, extensive restoration of 1862. Coursed squared sandstone and limestone rubble, C19 work in snecked rubble, limestone dressings and ashlar parapets, lead roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials, missing to east.
West tower, nave, north aisle and chapel, south aisle and chapel, south porch, chancel. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower has pointed arched west door, hood mould with mask stops, large 3-light window above with continuous hood mould, 2nd stage has smaller 2-light window with hood mould at all sides, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery to all sides, to south a small ogee- headed hollow-chamfered window; plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, octagonal stair turret with lancets to south-east, top string course with gargoyles, embattled panelled parapet, central image niche with image to each side, crocketed pinnacles at corners, ribbed spirelet with similar parapet and pinnacles over stair turret. 4-bay north aisle has 2-light windows to north and one 3-light to west with hood moulds, weathered diagonal buttresses, plinth, cornice with masks and gargoyles and embattled parapet; north chapel has 3-light north window with flat head and hood mould, small door and lancet, steps to cellar, 3-light east window, buttresses, cornice and embattled parapet. 3-bay south aisle has 2-light west window, two 3-light south windows, to right with transom and lower lights with 4-centred arched heads, cornice, parapet and buttresses as to north; centre bay has porch, pointed arched door with jamb shafts, diagonal weathered buttresses, cornice and gargoyles, C19 pierced stone traceried parapet, C20 double doors. South chapel has 4-light south window with hood mould and flat head, tracery as on south aisle window, cornice, gargoyles and embattled parapet, 3-light east window with hood mould and mask stops. Chancel has 3-light east window, section of cornice and gargoyles to each side, rain water chutes, buttress to each side and finial to gable. Interior: tower has tierceron vault with large circle in middle, mask bosses, one said to be a woman with rabbit's ears, tower arch with 2 broad wave-mouldings. Nave has 4-bay south arcade cut through former wall, with pointed chamfered arches, 4-bay north arcade has piers with 4 shafts and hollow moulding between, pointed arches, angel to each side at springers and spandrels of arches; 4-bay arched-brace and collar roof, one row of purlins, brattished wall-plates, angel corbels and along wall-plates; 156 angels in all. North and south aisles have 4-bay roof as nave; pointed arch from each aisle and nave to chancel and chapels, south aisle has small 4-centred arched door with heavy fillet to tower. South chapel has 5-bay ceiled roof with moulded ribs, wide pointed north arch to chancel; north chapel has 2-bay roof with principal rafters, collar, one row of purlins, brattished wall-plate, 2 pointed arches to chancel as in north arcade. Chancel has 2-bay roof as nave, with leaf bosses on arched-brace, piscina to south, C19 stone and marble reredos. Porch has common rafter and collar roof, C19 pointed arched double doors, inset carved woman with anchor to left, removed from Whalley Court. Fittings: C19 pews with poppy-head bench ends in nave and aisles; C19 stone Perpendicular pulpit in nave; C19 stone and polished stone font on stem in south aisle; eagle lectern in nave incorporating large crystal fragment; C19 carved wooden chest (used as altar) in south chapel; Royal Arms over west door; 4 hatchments and stone tablet in tower recording gifts to parish and subscriptions for charity school. Marble tablet in south aisle to John Gray, 1851, by Tyley of Bristol; marble tablet with urn in north chapel, C18, inscription illegible. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5568261952
Copyright IoE Mr Charles Hallsworth. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hallsworth, Charles
Rights Holder: Hallsworth, Charles
Ashlar, Lead, Limestone, Mortar, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument