This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for:-
SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE
3/12 Church of St John the Baptist
the entry shall be amended to read as follows:
SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE 3/12 Church of St John the Baptist
SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE
3/12 Church of St John the Baptist 25.2.65 - II
Parish Church. C13 - C19. Surviving C13 fabric to tower, lancet in base and chancel with lancet in south wall between east end and termination of south aisle. Blocked C13 opening on nave north wall. Church extensively remodelled late C15 when south aisle added. C19 refenestration and major restoration in 1886-7. Rubble masonry with slate roof. The tower in position of north transept with access from nave by unmoulded C13 pointed arch. Three 2-light belfry openings, single light on south wall, all partially blocked and with flat pointed arches and slate louvres. Above the eastern opening are 2 stone insets with encircled cross and dotted quadrants. Small 1671 datestone on first stage of east wall may indicate repairs and alterations after Civil War skirmish.
Embattled parapets. South porch heavily rebuilt. Round-headed arch with hood mould supported on Pevsner A-type piers with capitals carved with hunting scene to left and leaf and shield decorations to right. Porch roof heavily restored in C19 has some reused timbers. Sundial dated 1709. Pointed chamfered south doorway. The nave and chancel south arcade has 5 continuous bays with perpendicular flat pointed arches supported on Pevsner B-type piers, the easternmost pier being recut. From the west end 2 capitals have leaf and shield decorations, then a sporting scene, then fern and shield and finally 2 with leaf and shield decorations. The heavily restored uncoiled waggon roofs to south aisle, nave and chancel incorporate reused timbers and have plain chamfered ribs. South aisle has plain piscina and a squint at eastern end of arcade. The C16 carved rood screen with vaulted canopy was heavily restored in 1925. The marble font and font cover sits on richly carved late C16 columns tapering at base, hexagonal with medallions under foliage and ogee arches at top of each panel echoing detail on screen. East window by Kempe 1898. The south aisle alter uses ornately-carved timber from the mansion pew. Royal arms badly damaged on west wall of tower. C19 seating. Early C18 panelled pulpit.
Monuments: north wall of chancel, a stone wall tablet to Elizabeth Pine (died 1679) has shields top and bottom with painted decorations. At east end of south aisle, wall monument of marble has 2 busts in low relief in ovals with ionic colonettes. Below shields and above plaque to Edward Pine (died 1663) 'Sometimes Lieutenant-Colonel of Sir Hugh Pollard in the late unhappie warrs'.
At west end a table top tomb to Richard and Walter Hey died 1594 and 1629.
Listing NGR: SS6012641803
© Mr L.E. Abbott. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Abbott, L.E.
Rights Holder: Abbott, L.E.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Wood, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Table Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Date Stone, Commemorative Stone, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.