This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LANDKEY LANDKEY TOWN SS 53 SE 7/122 Church of St Paul
Parish church. C13 fabric to chancel. Nave, tower and north aisle C15 north and south transepts early C16. Chancel restored 1870. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with coped. gable ends and apex crosses. West tower, nave, north aisle, south and north transpets and chancel.
Tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses with offset wing to top of second stage only. Embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. Polygonal stair turret also with battlements rising above the tower on north-east side, with 7 slit windows lighting the spiral staircase and surmounted by weathercock. Square-headed bell openings on each side with 2 pointed arched lights with louvres, stone voussoirs to the relieving arches and hoodmoulds. Square-headed single light window with stanchions and saddle bars to each side except to east, situated just below plat band.
Pointed arched window to west side of 3-lights with hoodmould and Perpendicular tracery, above pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and large pyramid stops to the jambs. Casement-and-ogee moulded surround. Square-headed window near to base of tower on south side. Nave south side has 3-light pointed arched window with Perpendicular tracery and human head corbels to the hoodmould. To right embattled parapet to south porch with gargoyle to south-west corner. Pointed arch C15 doorway with hoodmould corbelled out with human heads and paterae around the hollow chamfer of the Pevsner 'A' type moulded surround. Similar decoration to inner porch door on smaller scale and with no hoodmould. Fine ceiled waggon roof to south porch 2-panels wide with heavy carved bosses at each intersection of the central moulded rib and end ribs and purlins. South transept with short gable ended slate roof set parallel to the nave with embattled parapet and gargoyles at the corner. 3-light Perpendicular windows to south and east sides the hoodmoulds corbelled out with human heads. Slate sundial to right dated 1768. Pointed arch to priest doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Squat 3-light Perpendicular window to right. East chancel window of 3-lights with Perpendicular tracery and.
plain hoodmould. Small lancet window to north side deeply splayed on its inner face. Vestry has round ashlar shaft to stack with offsets. Square-headed window on north side of 2 ogee-headed lights with hoodmould. 3-light Perpendicular window to east end of north aisle with hoodmould. Buttress to right with offsets.
Embattled parapet to north transept which has a 3-light late Perpendicular window on north side with hoodmould. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows on north side of north aisle and large 4-light Perpendicular window at west end.
Interior: fine ceiled waggon roofs to nave and north aisle both with heavy carved bosses at the intersections of the ribs and longitudinal members. North aisle roof has richly carved foliated wall plates. Nave ribs are corbelled out with stone carved human heads. Chancel roof possibly reuses some early timber in the moulded arch-braces to the single central truss. Tall pointed unmoulded tower arch flanked by buttresses with offsets. 3 bay Perpendicular arcade to north aisle with Pevsner 'B' type piers, but with capitals only to the main arches. Perpendicular arches to the south and north transepts, that to south transpet has foliated capitals. C19 pointed chancel arch. Squint from south transept into chancel which has a 4- centred arch with double hollow moulded surround. C19/C20 nave furniture. C15 font. Tall octagonal stem with mouchette traceried panels and octagonal lead lined bowl with blind quatrefoil decorations to each facet. Traces of ancient colour.
Monuments South transept. Impressive standing wall monument to west side to Acland family. Central achievement in scrolled broken pediment with acroteria composed of shields with grotesque heads to each facet of the plinths that support them. Pilasters flank 2 round-arched plaques divided by central pilasters. Semi- reclining male and female figures to each of the spandrels with central cherubs head. Plaque to left side records death of Elynor daughter and coheir of Robert Malet of Wolleigh, Devon, wife of Sir Arthur Acland of Acland and afterwards married Sir Francis Vincent of Stoke Daubernon Surrey. She died 1645. That to right side has Latin inscription to Arthur Acland who died 1610. Marble table top has Lady Acland recumbent with small male and female figures praying at her head and feet respectively. Behind her and a little higher up is the figure of Sir Arthur semi-reclining with bird of prey clutching a gauntlet in his feet. 3 shields to side of the chest with corner pilasters carved with various emblems of death.
Beside the south transept altar is a C14 stone effigy of a lady. At east end of north aisle are recumbent effigies of a cross-legged knight with the upper part of his body turned, said to represent Sir Robert de Beaupel, c. 1320 and his wife wearing wimple. Stone wall monument on north wall of north aisle. Pediment swept up to classical urn flanked by torches. Cherubs head to scalloped base with plaque above to members of the Squier family erected by Richard Squier in 1729. Tablet on south wall of nave. Broken pediment with central lozenge containing shield.
Moulded stone surround to plaque to Elya Estmond died 1695. Charity boards and table of burial fees to north wall of tower. Stained glass. Stained glass to chancel chapel east window.
Listing NGR: SS5906231137
© Mr L.E. Abbott. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Abbott, L.E.
Rights Holder: Abbott, L.E.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.