This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 53 NE SHIRWELL SHIRWELL TOWN
5/67 Church of St Peter 25.2.65 - I
Parish Church, largely C13 fabric to nave, chancel and bottom stage of tower.
Mostly C15 south aisle and north transept, and top stages of tower. Embattled parapet to tower, south aisle and porch when 'This church was beautified in ye year of Our Lord 1704' according to an inscription over south porch. The entire church heavily restored 1880s in Perpendicular style by William White including most of the fenestration and a vestry. Coursed shale rubble with freestone dressings, windows of Hamhill stone and slate roof. The tower, capped by 4 pinnacles with crosses added in C19, is situated at east end of south aisle with tower arches of low pointed unmoulded arches into nave and south aisle. It has four 2-light bell- openings with trefoiled cusping and flat hood-moulds. C13 Lancet window to east.
Large slate sundial dated 1756 and damaged armorial shield over C15 south porch with transverse hollow chamfered beam supporting porch roof. C13 doorway with pyramid stops surrounds an old door complete with lock. C13 west doorway has chamfered 2-centred arch over early door and late C19 porch with some reused roof timbers and to 1 side, a reused moulded and crenellated wall-plate. The vestry has a corbelled stone smoke vent. Interior: 3 bay south nave arcade has B-type (Pevsner) piers, vine leaf decoration in capital of pier at west end, fern leaf in other 3. The 2 end capitals have moulded heads, the central ones blank shields in foliage. Late C19 unceiled waggon roof to nave, south aisle and chancel, although the 2 latter'may incorporate some earlier timber and have moulded ribs with carved bosses and moulded ribs, carved leaves in the angles of the intersections of the ribs, and carved fleurons in the wall-plate. C19 north transept arch supported on west side by a massive C15 timber pier with 4 shafts of rough wave moulding between and fleurons in the capitals. West of it a small projection in the angle of the transept and nave possibly created a hagioscope to the north transept chapel.
Simple unmoulded pointed chancel arch. Badly mutilated piscina with cusped, arch shelf and carved head in scalloped drain. Unrestored but slightly damaged recumbent effigy of an unknown lady in C15 dress in a low recess in the north chancel wall with quatrefoil decoration in base. Above and towards east end a wall monument erected by Christopher Boyce (died 1744) - central medallion below emblazoned shield with floriate surround, cherubs and linen folds. Painted decoration. Above effigy a white-framed marble monument with grey background to Lady Anne Chichester (died 1723). 3 wall monuments on north wall of nave, George Lugg (died 1650) - a plaque within ionic collonettes and broken scrolled pediment above, painted unrestored medallion below; Frances Lugg (died 1712), marble bust over Corinthian surround; Grace Lancey (died 1683), pink marble with medallion and skulls above. In south aisle to west of porch a wall monument to Anne wife of George Newbold (died 1860), and George Newbold (died 1821) signed J Hughes, Barnstaple. C12 Font with square bowl on round stem and supporting pillars with four flat blank arches to each side of the top. East window by Kempe 1898 and other fenestration by W White of uncoloured glass in rectangular and diamond pattern.
Listing NGR: SS5978137432
Copyright IoE Mr L.E. Abbott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Abbott, L.E.
Rights Holder: Abbott, L.E.
Rubble, Shale, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament