This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LANDKEY LANDKEY TOWN SS 53 SE 7/124 Town Mills
House including bakehouse. Possibly 1659 by dated frieze, though earlier fabric may be concealed. Extended c.1900 at right end. Colour painted rendered stone and cob. Extension in stone rubble with brick dressings. Thatch roof, hipped at left end to main range with brick ridge stack. Slate roof with stacks to each end of extension. Main range, 3 room cross passage plan bu t with axial stack heating hall and parlour. Continuous outshut to rear. Outbuilding formerly flour store at left end converted to part of dwelling with single storey bakehouse wing at right angles to front forming overall L-shaped plan. Extension of c.1900 at right end with higher roof level to main range. 2 storeys. 5 window range to main range, with added 2 window range to extension. C19/C20 casements, 2 light, 2-panes per light at left end otherwise 4 panes per light. Ground floor has plank door at left end and 2-light casement, 4-panes per light between 2 lean-to C20 porches, that to right has 1/2-glazed panelled door to cross-passage doorway with bay window to right, that to left has glazed door of 2 leaves.
Interior: cross-passage has stud partitions to both sides, renewed to left side, 9 panels wide to right side with scroll-stopped and chamfered studs. Chamfered surrounds to rear passage doorway and to rear of hall with old 3 plank door.
Scroll-stopped chamfered durns to door surround at head of stairs. Decorative moulded plasterwork frieze to parlour to left of stack obscured by later cupboards and plasterwork overmantel with moulded top and bottom rails dated 1659, the date flankign 3 plant design interspersed by pair of C.H. initials. Chamber over has moulded plasterwork cornice with vine motif to all 4 walls and plasterwork overmantel in early Classical style with 3 semicircular headed arches supported on thin pilasters, the arches continuing half a bay to each side, with plant design to each full bay. C18/C19 roof structure with 3 roughly pegged trusses with side- pegged collars and waney rafters. The purlins resting on the backs of the trusses.
Listing NGR: SS5926931107
Copyright IoE Mr L.E. Abbott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Abbott, L.E.
Rights Holder: Abbott, L.E.
Cob, Render, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Thatch, Timber, Stuart Oubliette, Unassigned, Building, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Storehouse, Bakehouse