This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TOWEDNACK NANCLEDRA SW 43 NE 4/222 The Gilbert Hall 10.10.74 GV II School, now village hall. Circa 1870s, extended late C19 or early C20. Built as a school for children of workers on the Gilbert Estate by the Hon. Mr. Davis Gilbert, later used as a Penny School, then C of E School and after 1927 as the village hall.
Granite rubble with granite dressings. Welsh slate roof with gable ends. Truncated external stone lateral stack at middle of original front. Later brick chimney towards rear of left hand gable.
Plan: originally a rectangular schoolroom with 2 windows at the front flanking the fireplace; 1 window at the rear middle and doorway at right hand end. Circa late C19 or early C20, a square classroom was added at the left-hand, end lit from the gable end, and a lean-to porch added at the right-hand end.
Exterior: original symmetrical 2 window front right with central weathered stack and tall gabled dormer window at either side. Plinth, C20 windows, except for original 3-light window at rear with 3 cast-iron latticed casements.
Interior: plain plastered walls and canopied boarded ceiling.
Sources : previous list description.
Listing NGR: SW4966635997
Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clegg, Richard
Rights Holder: Clegg, Richard
Granite, Rubble, Slate, Victorian School, 20th Century Education, Village Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Church School