This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN SW 53 SW 8/56 Steps, gate piers and gates east of - Church of St Paul GV II Steps, gate piers and gates. Probably reconstructed following the rebuilding of the south aisle circa 1840's, incorporating much C15 Perpendicular masonry. Dressed granite. Wrought iron gates.
Plan: grid stile flanked by settles as piers, 3-sided flight of steps up to the piers; a landing within the churchyard with steps up to the churchyard on 3 sides.
Gate hung from left-hand (south) pier and above the arm rest of the settle on each side of the gateway are iron fences.
The settles are constructed of reused C15 foiled granite blocks and at the outer ends are Tudor roses in relief. The gate has roundels to the lock rail and a swagged top rail.
Listing NGR: SW5054433031
Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clegg, Richard
Rights Holder: Clegg, Richard
Granite, Iron, Wrought Iron, Victorian Fence, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Stile, Seat, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site