This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ8497 ARDWICK GREEN NORTH, Ardwick 698-1/20/475 (North side) 03/10/74 Drill Hall
Territorial Army Drill Hall and Offices of 1st Battalion Lancashire Volunteers, C Company. 1886, by Laurence Booth. Coursed sandstone rubble (roof concealed). Roughly rectangular plan. Medieval style. Three storeys and 3 wide bays plus square 4-storey tower at left end; with sill-band to ground floor, bands to both upper floors, corbel table and embattled parapet with small square corner turret to right, tall octagonal chimney to inner corner of tower, shorter square chimneys flanking the centre. The centre bay has a segmental-headed entrance archway and a 3-light 1st-floor window with transom and arched lights under a segmental arch, corbelled tourelles rising from this level and finished as chimneys, 5 narrow slit-windows to 2nd floor, and a raised parapet with panel lettered "ALWAYS READY". The outer bays have arcaded round-headed windows to ground floor, transomed arched windows to 1st floor including an 8-light oriel at the right-hand end with a frieze of blank shields over the lights, and slit windows to 2nd floor like those in the centre. The tower has 3 slit windows to ground floor, 2 to 1st floor, 2 similar windows flanking a small triangular oriel to 2nd floor, and an arcaded 3-light window to 3rd floor, with sashed lights, shafts and 2-centred arches; more regular fenestration to left side (and brick continuation). Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ8500397309
Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jones2, Samantha
Rights Holder: Jones2, Samantha
Brick, Rubble, Sandstone, Victorian Drill Hall, Defence, Military Training Site