This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD (North side) 1023/7/10015 North perimeter wall extending approx 150m along N end of Fulwood 29.3.1982 Barracks
Perimeter wall. 1843-48, by Major T Foster, for the Ordnance Board. Snecked sandstone ashlar. Tall wall with half-round coping extends approximately 150m along N side, including blocked rifle holes giving field of fire up across former central entrance, and NW projecting corner giving similar cover to W side. HISTORY: the perimeter wall originally had canted E and W sides covered by rifle slots in projecting corners at both ends, and formed a projecting triangle to the entrances in the N and S ends, also covered by rifle slots. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although sections have been lost, the surviving lengths form an important part of the original plan of the barracks, the only example of a defensible barracks in England. Part of the most complete example in Britain of the late C18 concept of barracks design. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5475431855
Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jones2, Samantha
Rights Holder: Jones2, Samantha
Ashlar, Sandstone, Victorian Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier