This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD (North side)
1023/7/10010 Former Infantry Barracks, Fulwood Barracks 29.3.1982
Infantry barracks, now offices and barracks. 1842-1848, by Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with ashlar cross-axial ridge stacks and slate roof Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 38-window range. Long range with similar rear elevation and coped end gables, divided into six 5-window sections with central entrances and 4-window end sections with entrances toward the ends; plain ashlar surrounds to mostly altered doorways, steps up to mid-late C20 doors, and 6/6-pane sashes, many replaced by matching top-hung casements, and with a smaller window over the doorways. INTERIOR: altered mid-late C20 conversion to offices.
HISTORY: designed as one of two barracks for an infantry battalion, the other on the opposite side of the former parade ground now demolished. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although this has been lost, the original barracks plan of two parade squares within a defensible perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete surviving example in England of the late C18 concept of barracks design. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5479531637
Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jones2, Samantha
Rights Holder: Jones2, Samantha
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Barracks, Domestic, Military Residence, Residential Building, Office, Unassigned, Building