This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5515NE YEOVIL CP HIGH STREET (North side)
8/41 No 7
Shop, with offices over, 1838. Ashlar ham stone, with flat roof behind the parapet. 3-storeys, of 3-bays, with a modern shopfront at ground floor level spanning between 2-fluted Doric attached columns, a stone cornice moulding over the fascia; to first floor a central 2-sided oriel window with plain sashes, seated on a projection of the cornice and crowned with a anthemion acroteria, and flanked by 2-plain sash windows in architraves, with cast iron balcony frets between low stone piers capped with anthemion ornament; A stone band at oriel cornice level divides off the 3-second floor windows, 4-pane sashes set in architraves, the centre being lugged and heeled. Flat pilasters to either side terminate in a classical dentilled cornice surmounted by a parapet with some open work and a central pediment containing an incised design featuring the letters D and B. The interior not inspected. This property not only dominates one end of King George Street (cut through in c1926) but forms part of the group for older premises leading round The Borough. The premises built in 1838 to accommodate a Savings Bank, founded in 1818.
Listing NGR: ST5563215977
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Georgian Bank (Financial), Victorian Commercial, Shop, Office, Unassigned, Building