This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5516NE YEOVIL CP HIGH STREET (North side) ST5515NE 5/40 Nos 2 & 2A 8/40 (Mermaid Hotel)
l9.3.51 GV II
Inn, with shop; both known to have existed by 1770. Has stone ashlar with stone slated roof between coped gables with brick chimney stacks (renewals) at each end. Apparently built at the same time as Nos 1A & 1B, (qv). Wide opening on left-hand side with bolection moulded round trefoil arch with moulded imposts and return of moulding down jambs as Quasi-columns onto a simple plinth. The old gate survives. To the right a C20 shopfront. Above the arch a triple window with plain surround and impost blocks - the centre 9-pane sash has a round trefoil arched head with non-radial toplight and the side 6-pane sashes have depressed ogee arches: to the right two 8-pane sashes in simple architraves; above a cornice with hidden gutters behind. Inside the archway a porch with traces of brick nogging to a timber stud partition. The interior much altered at both floor levels, but some original doors and panelling remain, and the cellars not greatly changed. There are early C20 extensions to the rear yard, which has a separate entrance to Princes Street. Note the plates proclaiming "Member of the Licensed Victuallers Defence League of England and Wales" on both entrance gates. (Mortgage deed of 1770 in frame just inside main entrance).
Listing NGR: ST5558815978
© Mr Brian Haigh. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Brick, Ham Hill Stone, Slate, Stone, Timber, Victorian Inn, 20th Century Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Shop, Yard, Unassigned
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.