This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST3308 CHURCH STREET 756-1/4/11 (West side) 29/07/76 Walls, gates and railings enclosing churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (West side) Churchyard railings and 2 gates at the Parish Church)
Gates and railings. 1842. Wrought-iron. Quadrant plan, enclosing churchyard to north and east. Square spearheaded railings set in a stone plinth on a rubblestone base. Urn finial to main supports. 2 gates, one to north, one to east, have long/short spearheaded railings with quatrefoil frieze to base and middle rail; urn finials to sides and centre. Overthrow, of depressed semicircle dipping to 3 quatrefoils; gate to north has a scrolled lamp support above. Attached to the Church Room (qv) are high rubblestone and flint walls bounding the churchyard to the west and south; that attached to the rear north corner sweeps down at intervals for approx 45m to meet the railings at the front; that to the front south corner extends approx 20m southward, then turns to the east for approx 35m to meet the railings to the east side of the churchyard.
Listing NGR: ST3226708187
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0196 IOE Records taken by Richard Bland; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Richard Bland. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bland, Richard
Rights Holder: Bland, Richard
Flint, Rubble, Stone, Wrought Iron, Victorian Gate, Unassigned, Boundary Wall, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary, Lamp Bracket, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Furniture, Arch, Railings, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site