This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST3308 HIGH STREET 756-1/4/120 (North side) 24/03/50 Harvey's Hospital and attached rear boundary walls to east and west (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Harvey's Hospital (Almshouses) including boundary walls to north and south)
Almshouses. Rebuilt 1870, largely of stone from previous building of 1698, but dated 1841. Ham Hill stone ashlar walls, stacks and chimney; slate roof. PLAN: 2 parallel blocks, each 2-rooms deep with central through passage, linked by high walls, enclosing central courtyard with outside water closets flanking courtyard. C19 Tudor-Revival style. 2 storeys, symmetrical 5-window range; central door with Tudor arch under hoodmould with carved stops. Above is a 2-light oriel window. All lights have cast-iron lattice glazing with shallow segmental arches, 3-light to far left and right, 2-light flanking door; those to the ground floor are transomed; all windows have label moulds. End and centre bays step forward slightly and are gabled; centre gable has a carved shield in the apex, the side ones have ornamental finials. A string course follows the contour of the gables except at the centre; below it in the gables and above it elsewhere, is an inscription in oxidizing copper. Stacks at gable ends have 2 shafts and square stack over central gable has 4 shafts, all octagonal. Plainer 2-storey rear elevation with label moulds over Tudor-arched casement-moulded outer doorways with sunk spandrels and more elaborate central doorway with foliate label stops set in slightly projecting gabled central bay; label moulds over similar 2-light windows with diamond-latticed cast-iron casements transomed to ground floor, except one-light window above 3-light first-floor windows to central bay. COURTYARD: flanked by high rubble walls with Ham Hill stone coping and 2 former water closets, one to each side (now heating and storage units). These are canted and brought forward with Tudor-arched chamfered entries to loggia, and cornice to parapet with moulded coping. REAR BLOCK: front elevation matches rear elevation of front block, except for mid C20 leaded casements, and stack with 4 octagonal shafts surmounting gabled bay to front. Rear elevation of rear block is of limestone rubble with Ham Hill stone dressings; central planked door under label mould; all windows are 2-light under label moulds, those to ground floor with transoms. INTERIOR: through passages have over 2 Tudor-arched, casement-moulded doorways; 2-panel doors in flats; partial inspection only. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: walls enclosing rear garden of approx 70m x 12m are of limestone rubble to west and English bond brick to right (east) side.
Listing NGR: ST3201008583
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0196 IOE Records taken by Richard Bland; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Richard Bland. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bland, Richard
Rights Holder: Bland, Richard
Ashlar, Brick, Lias, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Victorian Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Wall, Monument (By Form), Barrier, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Toilet, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Disposal Site, Garden Wall, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building