This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5516SE YEOVIL CP VICARAGE STREET (North side)
5/117 The Methodist Church 8/117
Church (Methodist). Dated 1869 on foundation stone: designed by A. Lender of Barnstable. Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slated roof having ornamental clay ridges. Non-Conformist version of C13 Gothic. The main (South) facade in the form of a wide gable with 2-gabled porches, each having pointed cusped arches to the recessed doorways, with short freestanding jamb shafts: between these porches a 5-lancet arcade, of which 3 panels are glazed, and above a 5-light lancet window under a common pointed hood, flanked by 2 buttresses, the right-hand having a turretted top (formerly with spirelet): the gable has a triple-lancet recess under the coping, and is crowned by a stone cross finial.
The West facade has 6-bays: bay 1 has a plain pointed segmental arched doorway up three steps; bays 2 to 5, separated by offset buttresses, are all gabled, with pairs of cusped lancets at two levels, the smaller to the ground floor level; bay 6 has a semi-circular projecting wing on octagonal base (of one storey), with 5 small unhooded lancet windows below a string course and parapet, which masks a conical slated roof. The interior has the usual two-level arrangement, the chapel proper being on the first floor, its roof being supported by ornamental cast iron columns. The gallery is reached by spiral stairs. The Church was severly damaged by envy action during World War II and sebsequently restored.
Listing NGR: ST5593116000
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship