This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5515NE YEOVIL CP SOUTH STREET (South side)
8/112 The Newnam Memorial Block
Hall and Schoolrooms, of 1912. Ham stone ashlared, random courses, with contrasting stone dressings, Welsh slate roof. In a classical, but less severe style than the main 1868 building, and set back slightly from it 2-storey facade of 5-bays, with deep plinth capped by cill string, rusticated quoins, string course to first floor, and cornice with plain parapet. 4-bays of windows, 12-pane casements with semi-circular deadlights set in shouldered keystoned architraves to ground floor; above shallower 12-pane sashes with radial semi-circular deadlights in shouldered architraves carried down below cills. Bay 5 has channelled pilasters framing a Doric doorpiece with panelled doors and a semi-circular fanlight chanelled arch over the entablature; above a semi-circular headed window with apron and bracketted open pedimented head, the whole crowned by an open segmental pediment incorporating tablet reading 'Baptist Schools 1912'. The words "Newnam Memorial" incised into string band over entrance doorway. The interior not inspected. The third phase of development on the Baptist Church site, acting as an enlargement to the Baptist Hall and Schoolrooms (q.v.).
Listing NGR: ST5561215867
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Building, Unassigned, School Hall, Education, Schoolroom