Hendford Manor

Date:
21 Sep 1999
Location:
Hendford Manor, Hendford, Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20 1TE
Reference:
IOE01/00103/17
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST5515BNW YEOVIL CP HENDFORD (East side)

7/28 Hendford Manor

8.9.70

GV II*

Large town house converted to offices of c1720 with later alterations to left-hand and right-hand (projecting). (Vacant Jan. 1983). Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slate roof between coped gables, chimney stacks removed. 2-storeys with attic and basement of 7 bays: the main West facade has plinth (with four 2-light basement windows now blocked, rusticated quoins, band cill courses and moulded string at first floor level. Central 8-panel front door (up 5 steps) with projecting porch of c1900 design, using pairs of freely interpreted Corinthian columns on high plinths carrying open segmental pediment, with bulls-eye window under: parapet crowned with 2 urns: ground floor windows simple cruiform wooden casements with leaded lights set in plain architraves; first floor has seven 16-pane sashes with medium glazing bars, in simple architraves: dentilled cornice above, with the piers only remaining of a (presumed) balustrade.

3-dormer windows with segmental lead covered roofs to alternate bays-having 16-pane casements. To right-hand a matching extension of full height but apparently only single storey with basement possibly c1860, with hipped Welsh slate roof. No windows to sides, but to front a blocked basement window and a large triple window in quasi-Venetian pattern, with triangular pediment. To left- hand a plainer 2-storey extension, of uncertain date of local stone cut and squared, with Welsh slate hipped roof having 3-bays of 3-light windows in simple raised architraved and mullioned surrounds; barred windows: to the right a simple doorway with flat stone hood. Interior not inspected. Built by Hooper family c1750 (Solicitors): enlarged by Edwin Newman in 1840, purchased by Yeovil Borough Council 1938.

Listing NGR: ST5543215722

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Haigh_Brian IOE Records for Haigh, Brian; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Haigh, Brian

Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian

Keywords

Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Welsh Slate, Stuart Town House, Georgian Domestic, House, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building