This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5561SE YEOVIL HIGHER KINGSTON 73/5/10008 Roman Catholic Church of The Holy Ghost GV II Roman Catholic church. 1894-99; by Canon A.J.c. Scoles, architect and the parish priest. Rock-faced limestone with freestone dressings. Red clay double-Romar tile toof with stone coped gable ends with apex crosses. PLAN: 5-bay nave entered from W' [S] end, polygonal apse, 3-bay S' [E] aisle/Lady chapel, and vestry on N' [W] with polygonal tower in NEt [NW] angle. Early English style. EXTERIOR: Nave and chapel have tall2-light windows with plate tracery, continuous hood moulds and buttresses with weathered set-offs and niches containing statues of saints. Cusped rose window in E' end of chapel. Polygonal apse with lancets. West' end of nave has large tripartite lancets with nook-shafts and lancet ventilation slits in gable with louvres; W' doorway with two orders of shafts, deeply moulded arch and carved tympanum. Small tower on NE' [NW] with polygonallouvred belfry and short tiled spire. INTERIOR: Plastered walls and stone dressings. Waggon roof with moulded trusses springing from carved corbels. Tall moulded arch to apse, which has blind arcaded walls and lancets with nook-shafts, sedilia, aumbry, marble altar and elaborate painted and guilded reredos with spire. 2-bay arcade with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Chapel has marble altar, elaborate stone reredos and Communion rail. Carved stone pulpit and Stations of the Cross. C 15 carved cross head found in the Chantry of St John's Church. SOURCE: Buildings of England, pp. 355-6.
Listing NGR: ST5572516324
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Clay, Freestone, Limestone, Roman Tile, Victorian Roman Catholic Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship