This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST515NE YEOVIL CP PETER STREET (South side)
8/58 The Church of The Holy Trinity
Church, erected in 1846 by Benjamin Ferrey. Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slated roof. Cruciform plan with 4-bays to nave, with added North and South aisles, chapels to the East of the transepts and sanctuary set lower than the chancel: no tower, but a small turret to the West end, all predominantly in a C13 style.
The North elevation divided into bays by flat pilasters, the aisle windows being double lancets with joined arched labels; the clerestorey windows being 3-lancets per bay, more widely spaced, with blind panels under the joined labels: the aisle has corbel tabling to a low parapet. The projecting North Transept has angle buttresses with slight offsets and roofed tops, with a door set in a gabled and cusped pointed arch, above which is a pair of late C13 pattern traceried windows, and in the gable a small trefoil window. There is a single lancet window to the sanctuary; there are 4-pinnacled turrets to the four corners of the nave/chancel roof; the North porch is relatively plain. The South elevation, now clearly visible from South Street, follows the same pattern: the end elevations unremarkable save for the wooden bell turret with shingled roof to the West end; there is a triple lancet to the West end, and a triple lancet with trefoil window over the East end. Internally the church is lofty, on an open plan. The arcades are of typical C13 style, and the roof is of a hammerbeam trussed rafter pattern with arched windbraces above and below the central pulins. The rear bay of the Nave partitioned off with a late C20 glazed screen.
The 1908 Walker organ is set over the choir vestry in the North transept. There is a fine wrought iron screen to the sanctuary (seemingly repositioned from the chancel, which has no separate crossing arch). The pulpit, choir stalls and pews have been removed, the latter being replaced by 1970's seating. The original font and wooden cover remain.
Listing NGR: ST5579315883
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Welsh Slate, Wood, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship