This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH PATH (West side)
5/3 The Chantry (formerly listed as the Technical Institute), and adjacent doorway
Chantry chapel, later school; Late C14 (re-erected on new site 1885). Local stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables. Single storey. Gable end to Church Path has deep plinth, square offset buttresses and angled string course and coping without finial; one C14 window with reticulated tracery and label moulding: the wing wall to the North has a pointed arch doorway of C19. The North flank wall (masked by the boundary wall) has three C14 late cusped tracery windows. Interior not inspected. A medieval Chantry chapel which originally stood against the South West corner of St.
Johns' Church tower. By 1410 used as a Choir School, and refurbished in 1573 as the School House. Dismantled in 1855 and re-erected on its present site as part of the original St. Johns Sunday Schools, used in conjunction with sa.e until c1880, and then lent to the Roman Catholics until their church was finished cl898. It then became part of the Technical Institute; (disused January 1983).
Listing NGR: ST5562416064
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0882 IOE Records taken by Brian Haigh; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Brian Haigh. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ham Hill Stone, Stone, Welsh Slate, Medieval Chantry Chapel, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Chapel, Place Of Worship, Choir School, Education, Training School, School, School House, Sunday School, Roman Catholic Church, Church, Gate, Unassigned, Boundary Wall, Monument (By Form), Wall, Barrier, Boundary, Technical College, Training College, Institute