This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NE YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (North side)
2/75 Twin Cemetery Chapels: a) Easternmost; for the Church of England
Cemetery chapel of 1863: Local stone ashlar with Ham stone dressings, Welsh slated roof, One of twin (handed) chapels: Greek cross plan with added colonnade porch to West: South transept in form of an angled chevet; Romanesque style with some ploychromy. Corner buttressed porch has semi-circular headed entrance archway with small side shafts; the returns have a semi-circular arched opening split by a column and heavily cusped tracery. South elevation has cusped lancet to 'nave' bay, then plate tracery in semi-circular arches to the chevet, a further cusped lancet to 'chancel' bay; corner buttresses with Quasi-dentilled eaves course. Triple window to East end, the centre light being divided centrally, with decorated capitals/imposts. North elevation similar to South, but with the chevet replaced by flat gable with pair of doors. Small circular window in West wall over porch. Centred over crossing a short gabled turret with square flue-like termination. Interior not inspected. Although architecturally adequate on its own, its value is enhanced by the 'twin' opposite.
Listing NGR: ST5510816585
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ashlar, Brick, Ham Hill Stone, Slate, Stone, Victorian Cemetery Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Cemetery, Funerary Site