This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NW YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (North side)
1/73 Summerlands hospital (front block only)
Workhouse administration block, dated 1837. Local Stonework cut and squared with plain Ham stone quoins and window dressings; Welsh slated hipped roof with 2-brick chimney stacks set asymmetrically. 2-storey, 11-bay facade of 3:1:3:1:3 pattern, with single offsets to bays 4 and 8 and double offset to bays 5-7.
Simple pediment to central projection, bearing dates 1837 and 1968. Sliding sash windows; ground floor windows have 2 upper and 1 lower pane; first floor 3 upper and 2 lower panes. Central ground floor window has slightly proud surround with crude pediment over. 2-matching single storey wings each side: Rear elevation much altered. Interior not seen. Other buildings on site not of interest. The former Yeovil Union Public Assistance Institution, or Poor Law House (the remainder of the Workhouse and its hospital now demolished). (L Brookes 'The Book of Yeovil' Barracuda Books 1978).
Listing NGR: ST5459116486
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Ham Hill Stone, Slate, Stone, Georgian Workhouse, Victorian Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary