This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST51NW YEOVIL CP PRESTON ROAD (North side) PRESTON PLUCKNETT
1/66 Church of St James with its South boundary wall
Built in 1420 as a chapelry, substantially rebuilt in the C19, architect unknown. Ham stone, with some local cut and squared stone: plain clay tiled roofs with alternating double courses of fish scale tiles, and with 2-courses stone slates at eaves. Cruciform plan with West Tower, and 1950's vestry in NE corner. Tower may be original in part; diagonal buttresses with offsets and string courses defining each level; small cinquefoil window to hellringers chamber, with C19 clockface over and C15 style traceried windows to bell chamber; battlemented copings, gargoyle spouts to each corner. Most of remaining work of C19 in early C15 style, but North transept day be earlier, the North window (on which others are based, uniquely has no hood mould). Interior almost totally of C19 and unremarkable: some pre-C19 memorials in North transept and the tower space. In a case on the North nave wall the head of the medieval churchyard cross (see below). The South boundary wall to the churchyard, stone, approximately 1.5 metres high and some 42 metres long, with roll moulded coping, of interest the glazed porch and West extension of 1979 not significant.
Listing NGR: ST5347516235
Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Clay, Ham Hill Stone, Slate, Stone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Vestry, Boundary Wall, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative