Church Of St Michael

Date:
9 Sep 1999
Location:
Church Of St Michael, Chipstable, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4 2QR
Reference:
IOE01/00105/34
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST02NW CHIPSATABLE RADDINGTON

1/10 Church of St Michael

25.1.56

GV I

Parish curch. Tower possibly C13, nave C14, chancel C15, restoration of tower dated 1675, chancel reroofed C19, church restored and tower rendered late C20. Thin bedded local slate stone, part rendered, rendered north face of nave and tower, slate roofs, remains of crenellations to nave. West tower, nave south porch, chancel with rood stair projection.

Two stage tower with remains of crenellations, single light louvred bell-opening, 2-light C16 west window, date stone on south face initialled TY/WAR/LH 1675; single storey gabled C19 porch with applied half timbering to apex, inner doorway very fine moulded pointed arch C14 doorframe with slightly ogee head and early dour with C14 hinges and back plate, 2-light square healed cusped window to right, projection of former rood stair with 2-light wooden casement and decorative iron strap masking end of inserted tie to rood screen, similar on north front, chancel windows all with ferramenta, C15 windows flanking priests door with moulded depressed 4-centred arch head 3-light east window with hoodmould, 3-light window north front and c1500 3-light window to nave. interior rendered with evidence of wall paintings beneath plaster in nave. Nave with barrel wagon roof, bosses at intersections, C19 wagon roof with bosses to clancel. Tower arch pointed, straight sided with double chamfer rising iron imposts.

Substantial remains of late medieval screen, 4 and half bays with cresting and inserted section below masking tie, rare survival of plastered tympanum above in entrance Stone slate with good lettering reset by jamb of chancel north window, inscribed to Mrs Susan Hammall (or hammatt) died 1707, and other members of the family. Reading desk dated 1713, Royal Coat of Arms painted on wood 1852. A remarkable survival of a largely unaltered medieval church.

The church became a chapelry in 1971.(VCH Somerset, Vol 5, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST0202626013

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Allmey_G Martine IOE Records for Allmey, G Martine; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Allmey, G Martine

Rights Holder: Allmey, G Martine

Keywords

Render, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Coat Of Arms, Chapel